Genre : YA, Chick-Lit
Format : eBook
Rating : 2/5 stars
*Whispers* Psst… you know that girl who came back? I heard that last night she and that hot guy…
This book is a written version of gossips, a favourite pastime in the elite circle of high school students in Upper East Side New York. The lives and romance of rich and privileged teens — particularly Blair and Serena — constantly top the charts of gossips.
The writing is straight forward, plain and I finished this book in a short time. A book that you could slot in among your heavier or longer reads.
Teens from all over the world have different paths, cultural diversity and a local education system that shaped the adolescence that they go through. The teenage years I went through is far different from the lives of these characters which I read did happen in real life.
This book is about teens where money is the last thing on their mind, where their worries are superficial, where everyone is involved with everyone. It’s loaded with teen issues, wasted lives, frenemies and some kids trying to fit into the higher social ranks.
Why I gave it 2 stars:
- I don’t remember the ending of the story
- An extra star from one star because I actually finished the book
- Don’t think I would watch the TV series
- Guess I wouldn’t be picking up the rest of the sequel books either
Some good points about this book:
- A glimpse into the glamorous lives of rich kids, not that they’re rich, it’s their parents’ money anyway. It reflects a fraction of the different lives of teens around the world.
- Tour around New York, one of my dream cities to visit
Gossip Girl is not a book that I would recommend, pick it up only if you want to read about privileged but troubled teens.