Genre(s) : Romance, Young Adult, New Adult, Contemporary
Format : eBook
Rating : 4/5 stars
This book falls into the Young Adult category in Goodreads but I think it’s more appropriate in New Adult because Cath and Wren — the twins — are attending university and they are beginning to step into the adult world, facing situation on their own and taking responsibility for it.
There is a main story going on about Cath’s life and a side story which only appear as excerpts in the book, the side story is a Simon Snow fanfiction that Cath and Wren are writing.
What I like about this book:
- Sisterly love and conflict between Cath and Wren.
- Campus life. I love reading campus stories!
- Funny moments sprinkled throughout the main story.
- The natural development of the love story — my favourite.
- Real bits in romance.
What I think could be better about this book:
- Unnecessary snippets of the fanfiction. The story can proceed well without it. Sometimes I skim through them so quickly because I want to read the main story.
- The fanfiction again. It’s very Harry Potterish which isn’t really original, not my taste though. And since it’s told in fragments I’m too lazy to put the pieces together.
- I think the ending was a little abrupt, wish the writer could elaborate more on the main story and wrap it up nicely.
My verdict? Pick up this book if you’re into campus life and romance, and don’t mind reading fragments of a side story which puzzled me more than augmenting the main story.